At this point, pretty much everyone has heard about the virtues of coconut oil for the skin. Celebrity nutritionist Kimberly Snyder mentioned using it on her body in her interview. When we paid a visit to facialist Mindi Walters, she used coconut oil as the final moisturizing step following her Diamond Peel Facial. She sent us off and told us any coconut oil will do, all we need to be sure of is that it’s organic coconut oil and contains no added ingredients.
Shea Moisture Head-To-Toe Nourishing Hydration 100% Extra Virgin Coconut Oil checks all the boxes and it doesn’t have that over-powering coconutty smell that can be off putting.
Something to keep in mind, and another reason why this natural moisturizer is essential, is that you should be practicing a treating/healing rotation with your skincare. If you are using acne products or anti-aging treatments, you need to switch off every other night or every two nights and heal the skin with antioxidants like Vitamin E, which is contained in coconut oil. This will enable the skin to tolerate the intense products and help avoid adverse effects. You don’t want to use strong products day in and day out. You can anti-age your way to aging. You can also acne treat yourself to acne if there is no balance or relief for the skin.
7 Coconut Oil Tips for Daily Use, Storage and Travel:
- For the face, use about the size of a nickel. It should absorb; tweak the amount you use if it doesn’t.
- If you’re acne-prone, don’t let this oil scare you. Try it every other night and see if it pleasantly surprises you.
- Before applying, rub it in your palms; it liquefies instantly. Then, press it into your skin.
- Coconut oil is a moisturizer, just like any sold at a beauty counter, you can use it following your Retin-A or retinol. After the Retin-A or retinol product has absorbed, just apply a bit of coconut oil over the top.
- Keep in mind, coconut oil liquefies with warmth or heat. If you’re traveling with it, make sure the lid is on tight and put it in a ziplock bag. (We travel with a small plastic jar that we fill with the oil; we leave the heavy-ish tub at home).
- If you use coconut oil under makeup, use very, very little (less than you would at night) and allow it to absorb fully before applying your cosmetics.
- Check the label. This product is 100% Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and is organic. Make sure there are no added ingredients.
$15.99, 15 fl oz.
Available at Ulta or order online.